Handmade Christmas Decorations
When a friend of mine's daughter introduced us to Sculpey a few years back, I was in awe of all of the intricate things that she could create with this colourful, soft clay. Sculpey can be moulded into so many different things and with the help of a few tools (I use cake decorating tools), you'll be able to add fine intricate details to your Sculpey masterpieces.If you haven't tried Sculpey before, or if you want a simple craft that is easy to do with the kids (or independently), then I definitely recommend this little Christmas craft project to get you started.
The kids and I had such a fun afternoon creating our special Christmas decorations. They were all made with our own unique style. They're so easy to make and it is such a fun little project which doesn't require too much thinking. You can make it as easy or as intricate as you like and it can be enjoyed by all ages (including adults).
Note: (for this project I used Sculpey III, however you can use other types of Scupley. Just remember to look at the baking instructions on their website for the type of Scupley that you use, as they all differ).
- Sculpey III clay (colours of your choice)
- Christmas cookie cutters (make sure you use cutters only for Sculpey and not for food)
- Baking tray
- Baking paper
- Cake decorating tools (make sure it is used for Sculpey only and not food)
- Small Rolling pin (make sure that this rolling pin is used only for Sculpey and not for food)
- Gold or silver thread or thin cord
- Skewer or something similar to make a small hole
- Pre heat the oven to 130 Degrees Celcius
- Line a baking tray with baking paper
- Choose the Christmas design you want to make
- Break off a piece of clay, the colour that you will use for the cutter shape
- Roll the clay to your desired thickness (ours was approx 5mm thick)
- Cut the shape out with the cookie cutter
- Use the decorating tools and the coloured clay's to decorate your Christmas shape
- Once your shape is decorated, place it onto the lined baking tray
- Continue making your Christmas decorations and space them out on the tray (approx 1.5cm apart)
- Once you have finished making your decorations, use a wooden skewer to pierce a small hole in the top of each decoration (for the hanging thread)
- Place the baking tray in the oven and bake for 15 minutes (Note: the Sculpey website advises Sculpey III to be baked for 15 minutes per 6mm thickness. Please use this guide if your clay is thicker than 6mm, to bake it correctly)
- Remove it from the oven and allow it to cool
- Once it has cooled, cut your hanging thread to your desired length and thread it through the hole at the top of the decoration. Tie a knot at the top.
Your handmade Christmas decoration is now ready to be used. You can use it to decorate your Christmas tree, place as a gift in a Christmas card or even use it to decorate a Christmas gift. The possibilities are endless.We hope that you have had fun creating these cute little Christmas decorations with polymer clay. Stay in touch as we will be sharing more wonderful projects using Sculpey clay very soon.